Alloy Wheel Insurance
The damage caused by scraping your alloys against a kerb or scuffs caused by road debris damage can be so annoying.
The ALA Alloy Wheel policy could give you peace of mind. It covers the SMART repair of accidental damage to the wheels on your car, and will make them look like new!
ALA GAP Insurance is recommended and awarded by
What is a SMART Repair?
SMART is an acronym for “small to medium area repair technique”.
A SMART repair of an alloy wheel involves the in-situ refurbishment and re-painting of the damaged wheel by our approved repairer.
(There must be an off-road area like a driveway for the technician to complete the work safely)
This repairs minor cosmetic damage and defects and would not be able to repair structural damage including cracked, buckled or distorted wheels.**If a cosmetic repair is not possible we will give you £100 towards a replacement alloy wheel.
Can I buy Alloy Wheel Insurance?
You can purchase ALA Alloy Wheel insurance if your car:
- Does not have diamond (laser) cut rims, split rim construction, or wheels with a polished or chrome effect finish (see help section below)
- Is listed in Glass’s Guide
- Is under 7 years old and has covered less than 70,000 miles
- Has been purchased less than 30 days ago
- Is not owned by a motor trader or dealer
- Has no pre-existing damage
- Is not an emergency vehicle, taxi, bus, commercial vehicle, moped, scooter or motorcycle, or left-hand drive
- Is not used for dispatch, road racing, track day participation, rallying, pace-making, speed testing or any other competitive event
- Was purchased from a VAT registered garage
Alloy Wheel Insurance Features:
- Repair of minor cosmetic damage to alloy wheels
- Cover available for up to 3 years
- No excess to pay
- Make up to 3 claims per year
- Up to 30 days in the European Union in a 12-month period
- Can be bought as a standalone policy – you don’t need to buy ALA GAP insurance
- SMART repairs carried out by our approved mobile repairer
- Provides cover in EU for up to 30 days in a 12-month period
- Where alloy wheel is damaged beyond a SMART repair (i.e. cracked or buckled) £100 paid to you as contribution towards replacement alloy
- “A-Rated” underwriter UK General Insurance Limited on behalf of Great Lakes Insurance SE
Help! Are my wheels covered?
Diamond and laser cut wheels are becoming increasingly common, with a number of manufacturers supplying them as standard on certain models.
As it isn’t always easy to know whether your wheels are one of the excluded types, we’ve provided some images below for illustration.
If you’re still not sure whether the wheels on your vehicle are covered by ALA Alloy Wheel insurance please send an image of one of the wheels on your car to email@example.com and we will be happy to check.
What is not covered?
- The repair of diamond (laser) cut rims, split rim construction, or with polished or chrome effect finishes
- Damage which occurs within 14 days of the policy start date
- Vehicles over 7 years old or which have covered more than 70,000 miles at the start of the policy
- Any claim not made within 7 days of the damage occurring
- Alloy wheels which are not of the original specification of the car or which were not on the car at the time of purchase
- Theft of alloy wheels
- Any damage which has occurred before the policy has been purchased
- Cover is not currently available to residents in Northern Ireland
How do I make a claim?
If you need to use your Alloy Wheel policy, please contact our UK based claims team on 0191 2588 141 no more than 7 days after your car is damaged.
You will need to provide photographs of the damage.
The details and images of the damage will be sent to the repairer, who will contact you directly to arrange a suitable date and time to complete the repair.
Alloy Wheel Insurance FAQ
The policy covers the SMART repair of your car’s alloy wheels, as a result of accidental or malicious damage.
Our underwriters are Hiscox Insurance Company Ltd, an A rated underwriter. We are fully authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and your policy is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
Cover can be purchased for a maximum of 3 years.
We offer one level of cover that pays the repairing agent a maximum of £100 per claim.
Claims must be made within 7 days of the damage occurring.
You would need to contact the claims administrator for authorisation. They will then assist in arranging for our specialist repair company, Revive, to make the repair.
The policy provides a SMART repair to your Alloy Wheels by a national mobile repair company, Revive.
If your wheel cannot be repaired using SMART repair techniques the policy will instead contribute up to £100 towards the replacement of your alloy wheel.
Wheels must be of the original manufacturer specification. Please note we cannot cover diamond (laser) cut rims, split rim construction or which have a polished or chrome effect finishes.
If you are unsure about your vehicle’s eligibility for cover please contact the office on 01653 916304 and one of our team will be happy to help.
All claims must be authorised by the claims administrator, MB & G and you can contact them on 0191 2590647. They may ask for some electronic images of the damage to pass on to Revive (the company that completes the repairs under this policy). Revive will then contact you to arrange a time to attend your home or work to carry out the repair.
You would contact the claims administrator as soon as they re-open to follow the claims process above.
Provided no claims have been made or are pending on the original policy and the replacement vehicle qualifies for cover, then we can complete a policy transfer. We do this by calculating the unused premium, on a daily pro rata basis, and deducting that amount from the new policy premium. There may be a balance to pay for the new policy.
No, we do not charge an excess for any claim on this policy.
Yes, there is no limit on the size of wheels we can cover under this policy.
Unfortunately there are some vehicles we cannot cover, including:
Taxis, self drive hire, driving schools, service vehicles e.g. police, ambulance etc.
Commercial vehicles or vans with a carrying capacity exceeding 1750kg.
A Vehicle used in any sort of competitions, rallies, pace making or off road use.
Left hand drive vehicles or a Vehicle not listed in Glass’s Guide.
Any Vehicle owned temporarily or otherwise by a motor dealer, trader or business formed for the purpose of selling or servicing motor vehicles.
Yes, there is an initial 14 day waiting period during which any claim under this policy shall be excluded.
The policy provides cover for up to 30 days in the European Union during any 12 month period.
The premium quoted is a total amount for the full duration of the policy and includes Insurance Premium Tax. If you choose to pay by debit card, credit card or PayPal there will be no surcharges involved for the transaction.
Alternatively you can choose to pay by Direct Debit over 10 months, however this will incur an interest charge.
Unfortunately we cannot cover an incident or damage which has occurred prior to the policy being purchased.