Scratch and Dent Insurance
What is Scratch and Dent Insurance?
Worried about taking your car to a busy car park and leaving it at the mercy of other drivers?
Cars are bigger, parking spaces are not; wayward trollies and hidden bollards - these can all mean that your car might not stay as pristine as it was when you left it.
The ALA Scratch and Dent policy covers the SMART repair of minor cosmetic damage to the bodywork of your car, taking care of those little bumps and scratches that can be annoying and costly.
ALA GAP Insurance is recommended and awarded by
Who are ChipsAway?
Established for over 20 years, ChipsAway has the largest network of repair specialists in the UK.
Their technicians have all undergone specialist training. All repairs carried out by ChipsAway are of the highest quality with many repairs able to be carried out at your home or work, using fully equipped mobile workshops - all they need is a power supply!
What is a SMART Repair?
A SMART repair (meaning Small to Medium Area Repair Technique) is an alternative to a body shop repair where there is cosmetic damage to your car.
Our approved repairers are ChipsAway – they will send a qualified technician to your home or work* where they will match the specific paint colour of your car and carry out an expert restoration.*There must be an off-road area, such as a driveway, for the technician to complete the work safely. In some cases it may not be possible to send a repairer out and you may have to go to the nearest ChipsAway repair centre.
Can I buy Scratch and Dent Insurance?
You can purchase ALA Scratch and Dent insurance if your car:
- Is listed in Glass’s Guide
- Is less than 7 years old and has covered less than 70,000 miles
- Is not owned by a motor dealer or trader
- Was purchased from a VAT registered garage
- Is not a taxi, self-drive hire, driving school vehicle, service vehicle e.g. police, ambulance etc; a commercial vehicle or van with a carrying capacity exceeding 1750kg, or a vehicle used in any sort of competitions, rallies, pace making or off-road use
Scratch and Dent Insurance Features:
- All minor damage repairs carried out by ChipsAway
- Repair of scratches, paint chips and paint scuffs up to 3mm in depth
- Cover for dents with no depth limit
- Covers damage to a single panel up to 300mm in length or diameter
- Annually renewable cover
- Maximum of 3 claims during policy term
- Low excess of £15.00 per claim OR option to add Excess Protection for just £1 per month!
- Can be bought as a standalone policy – you don’t need to buy ALA GAP insurance
- “A-Rated” underwriter Hiscox Insurance Company Ltd
The policy provides cover for scratches, dents, paint chips and paint scuffs to a maximum of one body panel.
The maximum size of any scratch, dent, paint chip or scuff paint scuffs which is 300mm in length and/or diameter.
Please note: This policy covers scratches, paint chips and paint scuffs up to 3mm in depth. Dents are covered with no depth limit.
What is not covered?
- Damage which occurs within 14 days of the policy start date
- Any vehicle more than 7 years old or which has covered more than 70,000 miles at the start of the policy
- Damage exceeding the size limit, or where it covers two panels
- Damage which cannot be repaired using a SMART repair and instead requires a bodyshop
- Reapplication of paint protection film, liquid, wax or sealant
- Damage to, or caused by, stripes, decals, stickers and vinyl wraps
- Non-standard or custom paint, including self-healing, chrome illusion, two tone or matte
- Damage to the roof
- Any claim not made within 14 days of the damage occurring
- Cover is not currently available to residents outside of mainland Britain (England, Scotland and Wales only)
- We do not cover pre-existing damage
|Repairs to cracked or deformed bumpers|
|Damage to the roof of the vehicle|
|Headlamps, lights, glass and wheels|
|Damages as a result of a motor vehicle accident|
|Damage which occurs outside of mainland Britain|
|Please note: This diagram is for illustrational purposes only, for the full list of exclusions please refer to the policy documents.|
How does the policy work?
When you purchase ALA Scratch and Dent insurance the underwriters will ask you to provide electronic images of the vehicle, unless your car is under 30 days old and you are the first owner.
These must be provided before the 14 day waiting period ends or you will not be able to claim and your policy may be cancelled.
If you need to use your Scratch and Dent policy, please contact our UK based claims team on 0207 8461 373 within 14 days of the damage occurring.
You will be required to provide photographs of the damage and pay the £15.00 policy excess, unless you have purchased additional Excess Protection.
If you need to make a claim and are paying by monthly direct debit, you will need to pay the full outstanding balance of the premium.
Scratch and Dent Insurance FAQ
This policy covers the cost of a SMART repair of minor body damage to your car including paint chips, scuffs, scratches and dents.
Our underwriters are Hiscox Insurance Company Ltd, an A rated underwriter. We are fully authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and your policy is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
Cover expires after 12 months or after you have made the maximum 3 claims, whichever comes first.
The policy covers up to £1500 for a maximum of 3 repairs during the 12 month policy.
You can make up to 3 claims during the 12 month policy term.
Claims must be reported within 14 days of the damage occurring.
If you need to make a claim please contact the claims team who will arrange for a ChipsAway technician to repair your vehicle.
The policy provides a SMART repair to a single panel of your vehicle with repairs carried out by the UK’s leading minor body damage repair company, ChipsAway.
All claims must be authorised by the claims team – please call 0207 8461 373 or email email@example.com
They will ask for electronic images of the damage to pass on to ChipsAway as well as details of how and when the damage occurred, and a convenient date for the repair to be carried out.
You would contact the claims administrator as soon as they re-open to follow the claims process above.
Provided no claims have been made or are pending on the original policy and the replacement vehicle qualifies for cover, then we can complete a policy transfer.
Unless you have purchased the Excess Protection when buying your policy, there is a £15.00 excess payable before any repair is carried out.
Unfortunately, there are some vehicles we cannot cover, including:
Taxis, self-drive hire, driving schools, service vehicles e.g. police, ambulance etc.
Commercial vehicles or vans with a carrying capacity exceeding 1750kg.
A Vehicle used in any sort of competitions, rallies, pace making or off-road use.
Any Vehicle owned temporarily or otherwise.
Any Vehicle which is not listed in Glass’s Guide.
Yes, there is an initial 14 day waiting period during which any claim under this policy shall be excluded.
This policy can only cover damage which has occurred in mainland Britain (and also excludes Northern Ireland, Channel Islands, Isle of Man).
The premium quoted is an annual cost.
Please bear in mind that if 3 claims are made before the end of the 12 months cover, the policy will end and a new policy will need to be purchased.
The premium includes Insurance Premium Tax. If you choose to pay by debit card, credit card, Apple Pay or PayPal there will be no surcharges involved for the transaction.
Alternatively you can choose to pay by Direct Debit over 10 months, however this will incur an interest charge (details available when obtaining a quotation).
Unfortunately we cannot cover an incident or damage which has occurred prior to the policy being purchased.