Scratch and Dent Insurance
It can be a worry taking your new car to a busy car park and leaving it at the mercy of other drivers.
Cars are bigger, parking spaces are not, wayward trollies and hidden bollards - the list goes on and can all mean that your car might not stay as pristine as it was when you left it.
The ALA Scratch and Dent policy covers the SMART repair of minor cosmetic damage to the bodywork of your car, taking care of those little bumps and scratches that can be annoying and costly.
ALA GAP Insurance is recommended and awarded by
What is a SMART Repair?
A SMART repair (meaning small to medium area repair technique) is an alternative to a body shop repair.
Our approved repairers operate nationwide and will send a qualified technician to your home or work* where they will match the specific paint colour of your car and carry out an expert restoration.*There must be an off-road area like a driveway for the technician to complete the work safely.
Can I buy Scratch and Dent Insurance?
You can purchase ALA Scratch and Dent insurance if your car:
- Is listed in Glass’s Guide
- Is less than 7 years old and has covered less than 70,000 miles
- Has been purchased less than 30 days ago
- Is not an emergency vehicle, taxi, bus, commercial vehicle, moped, scooter or motorcycle, or left-hand drive
- Is not owned by a motor dealer or trader
- Is not used for dispatch, road racing, track day participation, rallying, pace-making, speed testing or any other competitive event
- Is not already damaged
- Was purchased from a VAT registered garage
Scratch and Dent Insurance Features:
- Repair of scratches, paint chips and paint scuffs up to 3mm in depth
- Cover for dents with no depth limit
- Choice of cover:
- 150mm or 300mm in length and diameter
- Single panel or two panels
- Can be purchased for 1, 2 or 3 years
- No limit on the cost of the repair
- Maximum of 3 claims per policy year
- Low excess of £15.00 per claim
- Up to 30 days in the European Union in a 12-month period
- Can be bought as a standalone policy – you don’t need to buy ALA GAP insurance
- “A-Rated” underwriter UK General Insurance Limited on behalf of Great Lakes Insurance SE
Cover Options Explained
There are two options for the cover of body panels:
- Cover for scratches, dents, paint chips and paint scuffs to a maximum of one body panel
- Cover for scratches, dents, paint chips and paint scuffs to a maximum of two body panels
There are two levels of cover for the size of damage:
- Cover for scratches, dents, paint chips and paint scuffs which are less than 150mm in length and/or diameter
- Cover for scratches, dents, paint chips and paint scuffs which are less than 300mm in length and/or diameter
Please note: This policy covers scratches, paint chips and paint scuffs up to 3mm in depth. Dents are covered with no depth limit.
What is not covered?
- Damage which occurs within 14 days of the policy start date
- Any vehicle more than 7 years old or which has covered more than 70,000 miles at the start of the policy
- Damage exceeding the chosen size or panel limit
- Damage which cannot be repaired using a SMART repair and instead requires a bodyshop
- Reapplication of paint protection film, liquid, wax or sealant
- Non-standard or custom paint, including self-healing, chrome illusion, two tone or matte
- Damage to stripes, decals, stickers and vinyl wraps
- Damage to the roof
- Any claim not made within 14 days of the damage occurring
- Cover is not currently available to residents in Northern Ireland
|Repairs to cracked or deformed bumpers|
|Damage to the roof of the vehicle|
|Headlamps, lights, glass and wheels|
|Please note: This diagram is for illustrational purposes only, for the full list of exclusions please refer to the policy documents.|
How do I make a claim?
If you need to use your Scratch and Dent policy, please contact our UK based claims team on 0191 2588 141 no more than 14 days after your car is damaged.
You will need to provide photographs of the damage and pay the £15.00 policy excess.
The details and images of the damage will be sent to the repairer, who will contact you directly to arrange a suitable date and time to complete the repair.
Scratch and Dent Insurance FAQ
This policy covers the cost of a SMART repair of minor body damage to your car including paint chips, scuffs, scratches and dents.
Our underwriters are UK General Insurance Limited on behalf of Great Lakes Insurance SE, an A rated underwriter. We are fully authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and your policy is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
Cover can be purchased for a maximum of 3 years.
No, the policy has no monetary claim limit but is instead limited by the size of the damaged area, which must be less than 15cm or 30cm in length and diameter (subject to the level of cover purchased).
You can make a maximum of 3 claims in a 12 month period i.e. 3 claims under a 12 month policy, 6 claims under a 24 month policy and 9 claims under a 3 year policy.
Claims must be reported within 14 days of the damage occurring.
You would need to contact the claims administrator for authorisation. They will then assist in arranging for our specialist repair company, Revive, to make the repair.
The policy provides a SMART repair to a single panel of your vehicle with repairs carried out by a national mobile repair company, Revive.
All claims must be authorised by the claims administrator, MB & G and you can contact them on 0191 2590647. They may ask for some electronic images of the damage to pass on to Revive (the company that completes the repairs under this policy). Revive will then contact you to arrange a time to attend your home or work to carry out the repair.
You would contact the claims administrator as soon as they re-open to follow the claims process above.
Provided no claims have been made or are pending on the original policy and the replacement vehicle qualifies for cover, then we can complete a policy transfer. We do this by calculating the unused premium, on a daily pro rata basis, and deducting that amount from the new policy premium. There may be a balance to pay for the new policy.
Yes, there is a £15.00 excess payable per claim.
Unfortunately there are some vehicles we cannot cover, including:
Taxis, self drive hire, driving schools, service vehicles e.g. police, ambulance etc.
Commercial vehicles or vans with a carrying capacity exceeding 1750kg.
A Vehicle used in any sort of competitions, rallies, pace making or off road use.
Left hand drive vehicles or a Vehicle not listed in Glass’s Guide.
Any Vehicle owned temporarily or otherwise by a motor dealer, trader or business formed for the purpose of selling or servicing motor vehicles.
Yes, there is an initial 14 day waiting period during which any claim under this policy shall be excluded.
The policy provides cover for up to 30 days in the European Union during any 12 month period.
The premium quoted is a total amount for the full duration of the policy and includes Insurance Premium Tax. If you choose to pay by debit card, credit card or PayPal there will be no surcharges involved for the transaction.
Alternatively you can choose to pay by Direct Debit over 10 months, however this will incur an interest charge.
Unfortunately we cannot cover an incident or damage which has occurred prior to the policy being purchased.