If you're one of the 7.5 million people who cycle either for sport, leisure, or travel, then cycle insurance is just as essential as your bike helmet.
What is cycle insurance?
Despite more people than ever switching their four wheels for two, very few riders have insurance. While it's not a legal requirement, having robust cycle insurance cover gives you that complete peace of mind should the worse happen. Whether it’s a leisurely bike ride around your city, a daily commute, doing the school run or a bike hike around the countryside; ALA Cycle Insurance can protect your investment, leaving you to enjoy the great outdoors.
What types of cycle insurance does ALA offer?
Whatever your style – we can provide you with cover.
From cycling as part of your daily commute to heading out on a weekend for long rides through rolling countryside, we have a cover for you. And if you're a thrill seeker who enjoys funbox jumping on your BMX or you prefer a downhill run on your mountain bike, we've got you covered. And if you pedal with an added bit of battery power – we can look to cover you too.
Discover the right cycle insurance for you and head out on the open road knowing we've got your back.
- BMX Insurance
- Commuting Cycle Insurance
- Electric Cycle Insurance
- Mountain Bike Insurance
- Road Cycle Insurance
- Touring Cycle Insurance
Cycle Insurance FAQ
Here at ALA our cycle insurance can be tailored to suit the needs of you and your family.
Included as standard:
Theft and / or damage to cycle:
- Theft of or damage to your cycle – whether malicious or accidental
- Personal accident cover is an option you can add onto your policy with us. Compensation for loss of limb, loss of sight, permanent total disablement or death sustained as a result of an accident. You can read up on what is exactly covered in our policy wording
- Up to the selected value for accessories including helmet, clothing and more
- Up to the agreed value for replacement hire
- Up to the agreed value for legal expenses cover
- For those adventures abroad
- Cost of recovering you and your cycle if you're unable to complete your journey within the UK only
To be eligible for one of our cycle insurance policies, you must:
- Be a permanent resident in the UK
- Not be insuring a cycle that exceeds £6,000 in value
- Be able to provide a frame number for the cycle
- Be insuring a cycle in good working order and in your possession at the time of taking out the policy
- Be insuring a cycle that has been purchased new or second hand from a cycle retailer, as proof of purchase is required. This can be either:
- Original receipt
- Evidence of insurance replacement
- Gift receipt
As standard, our cycle insurance policies cover the UK, Isle of Man and the Channel Islands but as noted above you can extended to worldwide cover as an optional extra.
Most bicycles have a frame number stamped into the metal under the bottom bracket.
If it's a carbon frame, the number will be etched into the surface or displayed on a sticker.
Occasionally, the frame number will be on the inside of the chain stay or on the down tube or top tube.
We would recommend doing your research and getting an approved Gold, Silver or Bronze lock for your cycle depending on the value.
- Insured value under £500 require a Bronze rated lock
- Insured value under £1,000 require a Silver rated lock
- Insured value over £1,000 require a Gold rated lock
Details of these locks can be found on the Sold Secure website.
Even the best rider can hit a bit of bad luck – from a simple pothole on the way to work, to wiping out going off-terrain, which is why we think even weekend riders should take out an insurance policy that covers all eventualities.
Just like car insurance provides drivers with peace of mind, bike insurance allows you to enjoy the open road free from worry. You'll know that should something happen while you're out and about, you'll be back in the saddle in no time.
We're renowned for providing top quality financial products within the motor industry, which makes us perfectly positioned to help provide cover for some of the most vulnerable road users too. And thanks to our flexible cycle insurance policy, you can create cover that's totally unique to you.
Want to know what our customers think of us and our policies? Check out our 'Excellent' Trustpilot reviews, from people just like you!
We've made the process of getting a cycle insurance quote as simple as possible. All you have to do is head to our online quote form and fill in your details. Choose any optional extras – and away you go.
Of course, if you have any questions about your cycle insurance quote, you can get in touch with us. We’re available to contact via email at email@example.com or on the phone. Just dial 01653 916642 and we’ll be happy to talk things through.