Car Excess Insurance
What is Car Excess Insurance?
ALA Car Excess Insurance covers both the voluntary and compulsory excess charged by your comprehensive motor insurer if you make a claim.
Prices start at just £20.00!
Policy term is 12 months with cover available up to £1,000.
ALA GAP Insurance is recommended and awarded by
Can I buy Car Excess Insurance?
In order to purchase ALA Car Excess Insurance, you must be the policyholder of the motor insurance policy.
- No vehicle age restriction
- No mileage restriction at the start of the policy
- Suitable for vehicles purchased privately or from a dealer
- Available for cars bought outright, on finance or leased
- Available for drivers of any age with a fully comprehensive motor insurance policy
- Available for permanent residents of the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man
Car Excess Insurance Features:
- Covers the motor insurance voluntary and compulsory excess
- Cover can be purchased for cars, pickups or vans
- Cover limits range from £150 to £1,000
- Supplements £250 excess payment from your GAP policy in the event of a write off
- Premiums start at just £20.00, depending on level of cover
- Can be bought without having to buy ALA GAP Insurance
- Cover can be repurchased after the policy has been used
- No limit on mileage for the duration of the policy
- Receive a full refund if you change your mind within the 14 day cooling off period
- UK based underwriter and UK claim team
- Policy transfer – pro rata transfer of unused premium if you change your car, with no admin fees
- Comprehensively covered named drivers also covered
- “A-Rated” UK based underwriter Newline Insurance Company Limited
What is not covered?
- Any incident where the cost of the repair is less than the excess on your motor insurance policy
- Any incident which happened before the start date of your policy
- Any claim in relation to glass repair or replacement
- If your excess has been waived or covered by a third party
- Excluded vehicles – click here to see the full list
Vehicles used for hire and reward, any competition, trial, performance test, race or trial of speed, including off-road events, whether between motor vehicles or otherwise, and irrespective of whether this takes place on any circuit or track, formed or otherwise, and regardless of any statutory authorisation of any such event; any business use other than Class One Business Use as normally defined by motor insurers; any purpose in connection with the motor trade.
How do I make a claim?
If you need to claim on your ALA Car Excess Insurance please contact our UK based claim team on 0203 740 4431, as soon as possible and within 30 days of the incident.
You’ll be sent a claim form which you need to return as soon as possible, along with a copy of the settlement letter from your motor insurer showing the excess that has been paid by you.
Car Excess Insurance FAQ
In the event of a claim with your comprehensive motor insurer you will usually have to pay a compulsory excess and, possibly, an additional voluntary excess. ALA Car Excess Insurance covers both the voluntary and compulsory excess charged by your comprehensive insurer for any claim made, not just for a total loss (excluding glass claims).
Our underwriters are Newline Insurance Company Limited, an A rated, UK based underwriter. We are fully authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and your policy is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme.
Yes, the policy covers both of these elements charged by your comprehensive insurer for a claim under your motor insurance policy.
The excess policy lasts for 12 months. You can renew your policy upon expiry or after making a claim, whichever comes soonest.
Yes, the claim limit options are £150, £250, £500, £750 and £1,000. The claim limit is set at the time of purchase and is the maximum that can be settled under the policy during the term of the policy.
Yes. If you make a total loss claim your GAP policy covers the first £250 of your comprehensive excess and, if needed, your Car Excess Insurance policy will cover anything in addition to this.
You can claim as many times as you need to as long as the value of the claims don’t exceed the maximum claim limit on the policy.
As long as the insurer still underwrites this product and you meet the eligibility criteria of the cover, then we would be able to supply you with a new policy.
If you make a claim and there is no remaining benefit in the policy you can purchase a replacement policy.
Claims must be made as soon as possible and no more than 30 days after the incident for which you are claiming.
All claims must be notified to the claims administrators within 30 days of the making the claim with your motor insurer on 0203 740 4431.
Any claims made after 30 days may not be able to be paid.
You’ll need to provide your policy number and the claims administrator will send you a claim form, which you will need to complete as soon as possible.
You will also need to provide a copy of the settlement letter from your motor insurer showin the date of the incident and the amount of excess that you have paid.
Once they have received all of the relevant details, the claims administrator will then arrangeto pay back your excess.
Provided no claims have been made or are pending on the original policy and the replacement vehicle qualifies for cover, then we can amend the details on your original policy.
No, we do not charge an excess for any claim on this policy.
The policy can be purchased to cover comprehensive motor insurance policies for cars.
The policy is unable to cover vehicles used for hire and reward, any competition, trial, performance test, race or trial of speed, including off-road events, whether between motor vehicles or otherwise, and irrespective of whether this takes place on any circuit or track, formed or otherwise, and regardless of any statutory authorisation of any such event; any business use other than Class One Business Use as normally defined by motor insurers; any purpose in connection with the motor trade.
No, your Car Excess Insurance policy is valid as soon as the premium is paid and you are in receipt of your policy documents.
The policy will cover you whilst driving abroad, as long as the incident is covered by your motor insurer.
The premium quoted is a total amount for the full duration of the policy and includes Insurance Premium Tax. If you choose to pay by debit card, credit card or PayPal there will be no surcharges involved for the transaction.
Alternatively you can choose to pay by Direct Debit over 10 months, however this will incur an interest charge.
Unfortunately, we cannot cover an incident or damage which has occurred prior to the policy being purchased.