Caught in the Act: A Study from ALA

See the British public in numbers when it comes to one of the more unconventional types of vehicle use.

Published: 12th June 2018

Us Brits love spending time in our cars.

We use them as mobile offices, music venues, meeting areas, dining rooms and even, sometimes, as impromptu bedrooms.

At ALA we’re interested in everything that goes on in cars, which is why we wanted to find out about one of the more unconventional types of vehicle use. So, if you want to find out about what goes on behind steamed-up windows, read on.

We Wanted All the Details

What happens in the car, stays in the car. Except when it comes to our study, because a good cross-section of the British public was more than willing to share their experiences with us.

Almost Half Statistic

And our findings? Well, almost half our respondents (49.3%) have performed a sex act in a vehicle. This doesn’t seem to be a one-off indulgence either, with the most common frequency being between two and five times. One in ten (10.6%) have even performed a sex act in a vehicle more than ten times.

Men are more likely than women to have performed a sex act in a vehicle (54.2% versus 45.3%). When it comes to performing a sex act more than twenty times, a whopping 10.2% of men have done this, compared to just 3.6% of women.

Majority Statistic

The research also found that the majority (53.4%) of intimate automobile occasions weren’t as spontaneous as you might imagine, but were in fact planned.

And where did our respondents do their deeds?

Here’s the breakdown:

Parked Statistics

In isolation, most occasions took place when parked on private land (42.3%). The remaining 57.7% however were split between more risky locations, including when parked in public (32.6%), driving in public (18.7%) and driving on private land (6.4%).

Knowing the Law

At this point in our survey, we engaged in desk research to find out just how the nation’s public bodies felt about us committing private acts in our cars. The bad news is that there are a number of laws that could result in arrest.

Getting caught in the act might result in offences of indecent exposure or outraging public decency, or might be classed as behaviour that is likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress if you are in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Plus, for vehicles in motion, there is the added risk of dangerous driving or driving without due care and attention.

With this level of distraction whilst driving, there is also a real danger of damage to property or vehicles, or potentially serious injury to themselves or other motorists. Based on these laws, a sexual act in each of the following scenarios would best be worth avoiding: in a stationary vehicle in a public place; in a vehicle in motion in a public place; and in a vehicle in motion in a private place.

One safer way to indulge in a sexual act in a car would be in a stationary vehicle in a private place. However, you could find yourself in hot water if caught and reported, as there is still the risk of falling foul of indecent exposure and public decency laws if seen. So, the best advice is to proceed with caution (or have very tinted windows).

Where is This Happening?

Norwich Statistic

Norwich appears to be the UK’s capital of automotive amore, with almost two thirds (63.2%) of people admitting to performing a sexual act in a vehicle more than once. In fact, 21.1% of those surveyed in Norwich confessed to having sex in a vehicle more than twenty times. However, this may be due to necessity, as 41.7% of those who had admitted to having sex in a vehicle stated it was only because it was the only private space available to them.

At the other end of the scale, Newcastle is the least adventurous, with only 31.2% admitting to indulging in car coupling.

To Conclude

Sex in cars might sound like fun, but it can have serious safety and legal implications. So, anyone thinking about engaging in intra-vehicular activity of this sort should probably think about alternative venues first. In other words, get a room!

If you’re interested in motoring topics, or just in having a good read, you might want to keep an eye on our blog.

Published: 12th June 2018

Welcome to
ALA Connect
Online resource for motoring news, updates and advice...

British Sandwich Week 2018 – Part 2

Similar articles...