Motorbike GAP Insurance
What is Motorcycle GAP Insurance?
Motorcycle GAP Insurance will protect you in the event your motorbike or scooter is declared a total loss through accident, fire or theft.
Motorcycle Back to Invoice Plus covers the shortfall between the original invoice price of your motorcycle and your insurer's payment in settlement of a total loss claim.
Motorcycle Vehicle Replacement Plus covers the difference between your motor insurer’s settlement and the cost of replacing your bike new for old (or with one of the same age as the original bike at the time you purchased it, if not brand new).
If you have finance on the vehicle and the settlement figure is the higher amount at the time, either policy will pay up to that amount instead.
Mind the GAP! Avoid a potential shortfall...
Do I need Motorcycle GAP?
With Motorcycle Return to Invoice, the answer to this is yes, if you want to:
- Protect the price you paid for your motorcycle
- Be paid more than just the market value settlement at the time of a total loss
With Motorcycle Vehicle Replacement, the answer to this is yes, if you want to:
- Protect the value of your vehicle, which might be more than you paid
- Protect against rising costs of new vehicle and/or any discount you received at the time of purchase
Can I buy Motorcycle GAP?
- The motorcycle is under 10 years old and registered in the UK
- The purchase price of your motorbike does not exceed £50,000
- The motorcycle must be covered by a comprehensive or third party, fire and theft motor vehicle insurance policy with a motor insurer
- The motorcycle is not on contract hire or leased
- Your motorcycle is not a trike or quad bike
- The Motorcycle or Scooter must have been purchased within the last 365 days from a VAT registered dealer
Motorcycle GAP Insurance Features:
- Available up to 5 years for vehicles owned outright or on finance
- We are fully authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and your policy is covered by the Financial Services Compensation Scheme
- Pays as standard up to £250 of your Comprehensive Insurance excess
- Our policies do not have a ‘Market Value Clause’
- Our policies do not a have a ‘Glass Guide maximum retail value clause’
- Any policy amendment made FREE of charge
- This policy is combined with Finance GAP, it will either pay back to the invoice price or the outstanding finance, whichever the greater. *see illustration below
- Policy transfer – pro rata transfer of unused premium if you change your vehicle, with no admin fees
- Available for motorcycles up to 10 years old, delivered within the last 180 days, or 365 days (if insured under a comprehensive Motor Insurance Policy which includes ‘New for Old’ cover for the first 12 months)
- Discount available for renewal and additional policies
- We guarantee to beat any comparable online GAP quote
Motorcycle GAP Example
*Example shows the amount covered by your Comprehensive Vehicle Insurance (based on average depreciation rates and current market value) and the potential shortfall if your vehicle is written off.
|Your invoice value of:||£10,000|
|The amount owed to the finance company at the point of claim:||£11,000|
|Your comprehensive market value insurance payout:||£5,000|
|Our Return to Invoice Plus payout:||£6,000|
|Comprehensive Insurance payout + ALA GAP Insurance payout =||£11,000|
|(Leaving you clear of any owed finance on your vehicle)|
|view an example without finance|
Motorcycle GAP FAQ
No – if any accessories are on the manufacturer price list and are on the original invoice for the vehicle, rather than a separate invoice there is no upper limit to the value of these extras.
With ALA Motorcycle GAP insurance, you can buy cover if you have either fully comprehensive or third party fire and theft motor insurance.
Whilst this is not covered by our GAP policies, if you do not have this cover through your comprehensive insurer, you can purchase ALA Helmet and Leathers Insurance.
This covers the cost of repairing or replacing your motorcycle clothing if you are involved in a road traffic accident and they are damaged as a result. Prices start from just £30.00 per year, with the option to include Personal Accident cover for an additional £6.00.